- Course Policies & Registration Information
- Supporting Students with ASD in your Classroom (An Online Course for Teachers)
- Introduction to ASD - Practical Applications course
- Introduction to Applied Behaviour Analysis: Part 1, Instruction course (ABA-01)
- Non-violent Crisis Intervention (CPI) training - NEW!
- Regional Courses
- About Us
Flex® (online and classroom training)
CPI's new blended eLearning option teaches the same proven skills, supports the same principles, promotes the same philosophy, and adheres to the same quality standards as traditional Nonviolent Crisis Intervention® training.
The Flex ONLINE Experience
The Flex experience starts with participants completing the online portion of the course, which introduces you to the basic concepts of Nonviolent Crisis Intervention® training.
During the online course, participants use a downloadable Learner’s Guide that ushers you through each module, encourages note-taking, and challenges you to consider your own workplace realities and apply the content. Participants bring their Learner’s Guides filled with their own reflections to the classroom session.
**The on-line portion of the course must be completed before attending the in-class session. There will be a short on-line quiz at the end of the on-line module; you must score 80% or higher to pass the quiz.**
The Flex CLASSROOM Experience:
Participants come to the course with a foundational knowledge (key terms and definitions) already in place. You will discuss how you can apply the models and techniques learned, and will practice these skills in the classroom.
The classroom is also where participants learn and safely practice any applicable physical disengagement and/or holding skills for managing risk behavior. You’ll learn:
- How to identify behaviors that could lead to a crisis.
- How to most effectively respond to each behavior to prevent the situation from escalating.
- How to use verbal and nonverbal techniques to defuse hostile behavior and resolve a crisis before it can become violent
- How to cope with your own fear and anxiety.
- How to assess risk levels and consider the issues that impact decision making.
- How to use CPI's disengagement skills to avoid injury if behavior becomes physical.
- When it’s appropriate to physically intervene.
- How to develop team intervention strategies and techniques.
- How to assess the physical and psychological well-being of those involved in a crisis.
- A progression of holding skills to manage aggressive behavior in least restrictive, safest manner.
- How to maintain rapport with the acting-out individual.
- Key steps for debriefing after a crisis.
- How to properly document an incident.
Blue Card™ Confirmation
When both the online and classroom portions are completed, participants will receive a Blue Card™ confirmation, signed by the instructor.
This training program is open to all BC School District/Independent School personnel, and teachers or EAs in training. An eligibility form must be filled out and sumbitted to POPARD to complete your registration. Click here to download a form.
Internet Explorer versions 9, 10 & 11
Chrome 34 (or later)
Safari 7.0.3 (or later)
Chrome 34 (or later)
iOS 7 (or later)
Android 4.2.2 (or later)
Chrome 34 (or later)
Speakers or headphones are required.
A non-refundable administration/registration fee is required for all courses offered by POPARD. The administration fee for the CPI Flex course is $100. This fee covers a range of administrative, preparation, course access and materials, and refreshment costs. Tuition and instructor costs are covered by POPARD and the Ministry of Education. Therefore, there is no tuition fee for this course.
NOTE: Administration fees paid to POPARD are not transferable to courses held in school districts or other locations.
Click here to view course dates and to register online (Visa, Mastercard, and cheques made payable to "POPARD" are accepted for payment).
location and course time
In-class sessions take place in Delta, BC at POPARD (4746 57th Street) OR at Delta Manor Education Centre (4750 57th Street) from 9am-4pm.
For those taking public transit, the Ladner Exchange is nearby.
For more information, please email email@example.com or call 604-946-3610 weekdays from 8:30am–3:00pm.