Sorting is a foundation skill for any student. Students with ASD may require additional practice sorting. Once the student has learned colour identification and sorting, independent practice helps maintain these skills. In this task, the student is required to sort all picture cards according to the colour word.
- Colour words printed in colour and black
- Picture cards printed in colour
- Folder for materials
- Baskets for sorting
- Print and cut out all colour words and picture cards
- Arrange colour words separately in columns or baskets
- Arrange picture cards randomly in student’s work space (i.e., mix up the coloured cards)
Once the student successfully sorts the picture cards with the colour word, use colour words printed in black to ensure the student is able to read the colour word.